“What do you wanna do?”
“I don’t know. What do you wanna do?”
My husband, Chris, and I have THE HARDEST time deciding how to spend any little snippet of time we have together. So what do we usually end up doing? Dinner or the movies. Don’t get me wrong; both of those things can be a lot of fun. (I mean, just being together without hearing “mommy” or “daddy” can be nice.) But has anyone else noticed how expensive the movies have gotten lately? It adds up.
So if you’re looking for something to do that’s cheap or even free OR if you just want a different date night than the same old, same old, try some of these out!
Cheap or Free Date Ideas
- Pack a picnic basket & take it to the park or your favorite scenic spot. Lay out a blanket & enjoy.
- Go on a hike. Of course this is more of an afternoon or evening date so you’ve still got some sunlight to work with.
- Go to a free outdoor concert, like one night of a local summer concert series.
- Head to a restaurant that’s featuring a live band. To keep it cheap, order appetizers to share.
- Host a game night with other couples you know. Or even couples you don’t know very well! It can be a fun way to make some married friends.
- Check to see if any museums in your area have free or reduced admission during certain hours & have a museum night.
- Do a movie night in. Take the kids to grandma & grandpa’s. Then pop some popcorn, make some slushies, and cuddle up on the couch.
- Build a blanket fort (because who says kids should have all the fun?). Grab some sheets and get creative. Then cozy up and enjoy! I’m sure you can think a few fun things to do once you’re inside. *wink, wink*
- Participate in Trivia Night at a local restaurant or bar.
- Hook up your gaming system of choice and have a fun evening battling each other in your favorite video game. Or work as a team. Chris and I love to play Star Wars Battlefront together. But only if I’m on his team. Otherwise, he would completely destroy me every. single. time.
- Play an interesting game of Truth or Dare–Impractical Jokers style. Go somewhere out in public so you can make your dares more interesting. (i.e., walk through the mall clucking like a funky chicken and screech at anyone who laughs at you)
- Camp out in your back yard.
- Walk through art galleries.
- Have a spa night in. Get some rose petals or essential oils for your bath water, and learn to give each other massages.
- Go to a karaoke night. If you’re too shy (like me!) have a karaoke night at home instead.
- Nerf gun war!! Bonus points if you do it LARPing style.
- Go eyebombing with googly eyes.
- Explore a nearby town or city.
- Make dinner & dessert together.
- Take a free or low-cost cooking class.
- Cuddle up on a blanket in your back yard and stargaze.
- Go for a walk downtown.
- Have Sims on your computer? Build your dream home together.
- Have a backyard bonfire (with wine).
- Go bowling. Most towns have a fairly cheap bowling alley, and it’s fun to get competitive with your hubby.
- Feed ducks at your local park.
- Do a puzzle together.
- Go thrifting. Because what says love more than rummaging through used stuff to find treasure?
- Make up a new recipe together.
- Recreate your first date. If you did something pricey, find creative ways to do it on the cheap.
- Catch a show at your community theatre.
- Go to a local Bingo night. (No, they’re not just for senior citizens.)
- Go through old photos and yearbooks. Swap stories from the old days (especially the embarrassing ones).
- Mini golf!
- Try your hand at geocaching. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically a giant treasure hunt. It gets you out and exploring while you’re looking for things other people have hidden. I honestly didn’t think we’d be able to in our area (because it’s fairly small), but even here, there are over 600 geocachers. You should definitely check it out!
- Have a cooking competition with whatever’s in the fridge.
- Play a full game of Monopoly.
- Get your favorite wine, cheese, crackers, and fruit. Then have a little wine party for two at home. To make things interesting, answer these questions together.
- Have an ice cream sundae night. Get a tub of your favorite goodness and buy some toppings. Then get into your jammies and pig out.
- Go up to a high point in your town or city, lay down a blanket, and snuggle up while enjoying the view.
- Play Twister.
- Go for a drive out a country road.
Who wants to just go out to dinner or a movie when you can mix it up and do something a little different? Pick out a few that you like and plan to use them for your next date nights!
Which ones are your favorite? What other date ideas would you add?
Until next time,
New here? Get started on this page!
Sharing is caring! Like this post from Planting Vineyards? Pass it along using the social share buttons above & below!